ibm t22 xorg problems

Mark Busby redtick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 22 17:38:57 UTC 2007

I'm having problems with xorg on an IBM t22 using 6.2 freebsd. The video card shows to be an S3 savage, but the savage driver is broken (blank screen on startx) so I am using the vesa driver. It works fine untill I drop out of X, the screen goes blank, keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.
  I've done quite a bit of searching but have not found anything to help with the problem.
  I've enabled the dri option in xorg.conf as some suggest, but it does not help.
  Any ideas??