Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Mon Feb 26 15:30:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:16:58AM -0800, chris at chrismaness.com wrote:

> >> Off-topic for FreeBSD-Questions but I don't believe
> >> Outlook supports CRAM-MD5 out of the box.
> >
> > *Not* off-topic, the context being how best to configure Outlook
> > for use with FreeBSD IMAP.  One hopes something more secure than
> > plain-text passwords can be made to work.
> >
> > My answer is "Don't use Outlook.  For anything.  Period."
> > but the OP may be stuck with it for some reason.
> >

> Thank You, if I was talking about Anna Nichole Smith or something, that
> would be *OFF* topic. ;o).
>
> I am stuck with outlook if I want to synch my PDA phone to my e-mail.  It
> seems to work ok with gmail pop3.  Maybe I can just have sendmail foreward
> a copy of all my mail to gmail.
>
> Thanks Guys,
>
> Chris Maness

I run imap-uw. Outlook 2003 works just fine with my mail server. However, I
haven't been able to get Outlook 2002 to work properly. Outlook Express also
works fine for me.

My (quite popular) page about running both sendmail and imap-uw with SSL/TLS
and authentication can be found here:
<http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html>. The page states
that one of the goals of the described mail setup is compatibility with
Microsoft e-mail clients.

Thanks,

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller