Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Feb 27 09:11:17 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Tolbert" <hemi at puresimplicity.net>
To: <chris at chrismaness.com>
Cc: <juhasaarinen at gmail.com>; <perryh at pluto.rain.com>;
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

> > > *Not* off-topic, the context being how best to configure Outlook
> > > for use with FreeBSD IMAP.  One hopes something more secure than
> > > plain-text passwords can be made to work.
> > >
> > > My answer is "Don't use Outlook.  For anything.  Period."
> > > but the OP may be stuck with it for some reason.
> > >

> > Thank You, if I was talking about Anna Nichole Smith or something, that
> > would be *OFF* topic. ;o).
> >
> > I am stuck with outlook if I want to synch my PDA phone to my e-mail.
It
> > seems to work ok with gmail pop3.  Maybe I can just have sendmail
foreward
> > a copy of all my mail to gmail.
> >
> > Thanks Guys,
> >
> > Chris Maness
>
> I run imap-uw. Outlook 2003 works just fine with my mail server. However,
> haven't been able to get Outlook 2002 to work properly.

If your using self-signed certificates the secret is you create a
self-signed CA
certificate, then import a copy of that into Internet Explorer, and then
when
you create the CSR for the imap server, sign it with your self-signed root
CA
certificate.  This same restriction existed for all prior Outlook clients.

In outlook 2003 MS finally got rid of that and allowed you to use
self-signed
imap certificates directly.

Ted

Outlook Express also
> works fine for me.
>
> My (quite popular) page about running both sendmail and imap-uw with
SSL/TLS