cvsup tag for ports

Michael bsdquestions at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 01:51:26 UTC 2007

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 03:41:58PM -0800, Michael wrote:
>
>> Erik Trulsson wrote:

>>> Neither the ports tree nor the docs tree is branched.  I.e. there is no
>>> security branch for ports.
>>> On the other hand you are not required to update installed ports/packages
>>> just because you update the ports tree.
>>>

>> What do you mean they aren't branched?  Of course they are or they
>> wouldn't be in cvs and if I changed the tag, it wouldn't do anything
>> (they wouldn't change on running cvsup), but they do change (ports get
>> deleted/added/edited.), so I'm not following you here.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on what you mean?
>>

> What I mean is that the ports tree only has a single CVS branch, HEAD, which
> is what you get with tag=.
> There are no other branches. (Unlike the src/ tree which does have several
> different branches in addition to HEAD.)
> There are tags (like RELEASE_6_2_0 or RELEASE_5_2_1) that identify the ports
> tree at some specific point in time.
> If you update the ports tree with e.g. tag=RELEASE_6_2_0 you will get the
> ports tree in the same state as was shipped with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.
> If you use the same tag a couple of months later you will get exactly the
> same thing - the ports tree as was shipped with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.
>
> If you want to get updates to the ports tree you will have to use tag=. or
> wait until a new release has been made and use the tag corresponding to that
> particular release.

OK, that makes sense.  Now getting back to my original question, if you
are running a production server, does it make sense to pull down ports
which are under the -CURRENT tag=. or should anyone who's running a
production server just stick with what's in the current release ports?
Would I benefit more from pulling down the most current ports because it
offers the most up to date packages?

If neither is safer than I think it's probably ok to just continue to
pull down the most current, if that's not true than I should probably
just use the ports which came with the release.  This is what I'd like
people's comments on more than anything else.

Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it.

Michael Lawver