cvsup tag for ports

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 11 03:41:29 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Michael <bsdquestions at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now getting back to my original question, if you
> are running a production server, does it make sense to pull down ports
> which are under the -CURRENT tag=. or should anyone who's running a
> production server just stick with what's in the current release ports?
> Would I benefit more from pulling down the most current ports because it
> offers the most up to date packages?
>
> If neither is safer than I think it's probably ok to just continue to
> pull down the most current, if that's not true than I should probably
> just use the ports which came with the release.  This is what I'd like
> people's comments on more than anything else.
>
> Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it.

There are many different approaches to safety (as in
reliability and security).

There's being absolutely reactive, that is never do
anything until something disastrous happens. Don't
touch your servers until they're full of dirt, cobweb,
trojans, viruses, etc., and actually go down.

There's being absolutely proactive, that is take an
active part in the communities around the software
you use, stay up-to-date on current issues and keep
your boxes fresh with new releases.

Most admins are somewhere in between, you'll have to
choose where to dwell for yourself based on the time
and enthusiasm you have.