cvsup tag for ports

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Feb 11 00:29:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 03:41:58PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 02:06:37PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> >
> >>Hello everyone,
> >>
> >>I'm building a production server and I have what may seem to be a very
> >>simple question so I hope it only requires a simple answer.
> >>
> >>As I've studied the FreeBSD Handbook as well as the man pages for this,
> >>it's still not clear to me which tag I should use for a production server.
> >>
> >>For my sources I always use the security branch for the release we are
> >>using so that they stay stable and also plug most of the security issues
> >>as they arise and so the sources tag is always RELENG_6_2.
> >>
> >>For the ports, the default tag is always tag=. which I'm not sure is the
> >>best thing for a production server since that's the tab for -CURRENT.
> >>On one hand it makes sense to track that branch for ports because that's
> >>where fixes would go for applications as they find them, but I'm not
> >>convinced this is the best thing for a production server and wonder if I
> >>should also use the security branch for the ports.
> >>
> >>My first question is, does any real security fixes go into the ports
> >>when you pull from a security branch?  In other words, do maintainers
> >>actually submit fixes to that branch for the ports?
> >>
> >>I have a similiar question for the docs as well, should we be tracking
> >>only the security branch when using cvsup for sources, ports and doc's?
> >>

> >Neither the ports tree nor the docs tree is branched.  I.e. there is no
> >security branch for ports.
> >On the other hand you are not required to update installed ports/packages
> >just because you update the ports tree.
> >

> What do you mean they aren't branched?  Of course they are or they
> wouldn't be in cvs and if I changed the tag, it wouldn't do anything
> (they wouldn't change on running cvsup), but they do change (ports get
> deleted/added/edited.), so I'm not following you here.
>
> Can you elaborate on what you mean?

What I mean is that the ports tree only has a single CVS branch, HEAD, which
is what you get with tag=.
There are no other branches. (Unlike the src/ tree which does have several
different branches in addition to HEAD.)
There are tags (like RELEASE_6_2_0 or RELEASE_5_2_1) that identify the ports
tree at some specific point in time.
If you update the ports tree with e.g. tag=RELEASE_6_2_0 you will get the
ports tree in the same state as was shipped with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.
If you use the same tag a couple of months later you will get exactly the
same thing - the ports tree as was shipped with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.

If you want to get updates to the ports tree you will have to use tag=. or
wait until a new release has been made and use the tag corresponding to that
particular release.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson