Panic on boot

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Dec 16 07:58:58 PST 2007

At 07:32 PM 12/15/2007, jekillen wrote:

>On Dec 15, 2007, at 5:21 PM, jekillen wrote:
>
>>Hello;
>>I have had an AMD64 754 system that I have 64 bit SCSI card and
>>two 15k rpm SCSI drives. It has been running fine with FreeBSD v 6.0
>>for about two years now. I have several things I wanted to change
>>and reconfigure, software wise, and hardware wise. The first was a new
>>case which I got today. I shut down the system, put everything in the new
>>case and booted. It booted without any complaint. I got the V6.2 install
>>cd and put it in. The system froze during boot process after an entry
>>for mpt 0. I turned off the power and tried rebooting into the install cd.
>>This time it made  it to sysinstall and went through slice and partitioning
>>and was in the process of installing the base system and it froze again,
>>no error messaged to console.  I rebooted and started again. The second
>>time I got all the way through the install process.
>>
>>Now on reboot the system is panicking just after the line
>>mtp0 hidden device members(6)
>>The error is:
>>Fatal Trap 12 (the screen does not persist
>>long enough to transcribe it all.)
>>Three tries, the same thing in the same place in the boot
>>process.
>
>I tried it agian and the same thing happened.
>This time I got more of the error message.
>'page fault while in kernel mode'
>

>>does this mean the scsi drives or card is  going bad? (I nope not)
>>the card is LSI Logic 64 bit card (installed in a standard PCI slot but
>>has been working with an inch of the card hanging off the end
>>of the slot. I only have one internal bus  available this way, but that is
>>all I need.
>>Thanks in advance for info
>>Jeff K
>>(chewing my fingernails)

Jeff,

Could be anything causing this from your "move" such as damaged ram or
other component from static or a somewhat flaky power supply in the new case.

Have you run diagnostics on the hard drives?

Make sure all your power connectors are tight, no damaged cables.  It is
easy with some SCSI cables to damage the cable or connectors, I know I have
done that a few times.

If you can, separate the power to the hard drives to separate lines from
the power supply rather than daisy chaining a power line with multiple
connectors on it.

Have you tried other bootable OS's just to see if they crash too?

         -Derek

believed to be clean.