DVD's and FreeBSD

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Dec 7 20:04:52 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:05:23PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	Update:
> >
> >	Well, totem chokes when trying to play a DVD,
> Totem is not good DVD player and that has to do nothing with the
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD or whatever Linux you want to use. You may read
> here why is so difficult to use DVDs
> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

	I will see why totem just-works {TM} with Ubuntu.  While here it
	is missing plugin, etc......

> Ogle is by far the best DVD player but VLC and MPlayer are able to play
> stunning number of different proprietary and non-proprietary video and
> audio formats.

	I've never  used vlc for DVD; nor ogle; am building.

> > but kmplayer works
> >	--altho with fewer control flow options.  And after compiling
> >	in "device atapicam" into my KERNCONF, k3b still chokes.
> K3b works fine or I should say as good as on any of major Linux
> distribution. Something is wrong with your configuration.
> Read very carefully
>
> $ make showinfo /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b

	Well, y'gotta cd to the k3b directory, but no prob; that I
	remembered from before.  I lpr'd it.   It's clearly written
	by one of us ( a fellow geek).

	I may have some followups.  I've been reading and re-reading
	and re-re-reading the info page.

> >So.
> >	For "toys", Linux; for superior [unbeatable] stability, FreeBSD
> >	is still first rate.
> >
> >	gary
> >
> Depends what you mean by playing. Some people use Flash or Java for work
> and FreeBSD is definitely not for them.
> For me personally works boot as a professional tool and as life-stile
> OS. But then it doesn't work for my mother in law and probably
> it doesn't work for 99% of other casual computer users.

	You're right; I shouldn't have been so dismissive about burning
	a CD or DVD.  (i'Ve created some data CD's for friends.)

	vlc-devel is still building.  Hopefully more will be working
	after my reboot.

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix