Confusion about installing X and release upgrading?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Dec 3 14:36:45 PST 2007

Zachary Kline wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm currently using FreeBSD 6.2 release with security patches from
> Releng6-2.  This is in a Qemu virtual machine, if only because I don't know
> of any other system which will let me redirect the serial port over a Telnet
> session.
>     All that being said, I am slightly confused by the stuff I've read on
> the FreeBSD release process.  I know that 7.0 is due to come out soon, if it
> isn't out already.  Am I correct in taking from what I've read that 6.2 will
> continue to be supported for a while yet?

7.0 is at BETA3 right now, and 7.0-RELEASE is expected to be an
early Christmas present.

6.2 support is slated to end in late spring, IIRC, but since there will
be at least one more 6.X release, you should be able to run a 6.X variety
and expected to be supported through most of next year (see the Release
Engineering team's page and the Security Team's page for more details;
SecTeam should have a general EOL policy statement for number of months
after a RELEASE, etc.)

>     Also, about installing X.  I've had an interest in trying to see how
> well Gnome and Orca perform in FreeBSD.  Is there a cannonical way to
> install X and Gnome?  I've heard from monitoring this mailing list that the
> x11/xorg metaport isn't particularly favored.  Would I need a complete X
> installation for Ghome anyway?
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
> All the best,
> Zack.