Confusion about installing X and release upgrading?

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:12:59 PST 2007

Hi,
    I'm currently using FreeBSD 6.2 release with security patches from
Releng6-2.  This is in a Qemu virtual machine, if only because I don't know
of any other system which will let me redirect the serial port over a Telnet
session.
    All that being said, I am slightly confused by the stuff I've read on
the FreeBSD release process.  I know that 7.0 is due to come out soon, if it
isn't out already.  Am I correct in taking from what I've read that 6.2 will
continue to be supported for a while yet?
    Also, about installing X.  I've had an interest in trying to see how
well Gnome and Orca perform in FreeBSD.  Is there a cannonical way to
install X and Gnome?  I've heard from monitoring this mailing list that the
x11/xorg metaport isn't particularly favored.  Would I need a complete X
installation for Ghome anyway?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
All the best,
Zack.