ACL: Default and other problems

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Oct 24 16:22:08 UTC 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Situation:
>    - git running on fbsd 5.3.
>    - 4 people work on the same project
>    - git is used over ssh (aka git+ssh://)
>    - when new objects are created, they belong to the creating user
>    - normal umask is 077 (we are all paranoid)
>
> We want that every newly created file and directory is modifyable
> by any user of the 'git' group.

Have git be setgid to this git group and call umask() to 027.
Or write a trivial shell-script wrapper to reset the umask, if you
want to do it that way.

> Now I am interested on how you would solve this problem with standard
> Unix-Ids without using external tools (like callin chown/chgrp/chmod
> each update).

This constraint makes the problem impossible to solve.  Either you
are interested in the impossible, or you aren't really looking to
solve the problem using standard Unix mechanisms...

--
-Chuck