Mail server question

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Thu Nov 30 11:02:33 PST 2006

In updating FreeBSD to a 5.5 resting place on the way to 6.2, sendmail went from
8.12.11 --> 8.13.6. Three users could not connect without deleting or tinkering
with their client profile to force the client side to reenter the password. One
was only fixed by  setting up a new account. the three users from from an office
with about 40 others that worked fine.

All the affected users were using POP3, two thunderbirds, and an Outlook
Express. The troublesome use was POP3 with Eudora. No one else noticed [which
was sorta what I was hoping for :) ]

I hope this is not too off topic, but I know of no other place to pose the
question with any hope for an answer. Thank for any thoughts. I think I can rule
out local firewalls because the office admin is very savy and would have told
me. I ruled that out in the one I worked on. That one literally went from old
account fails to new one works with nothing in between.

Doug Denault