Local checkout performance - cvs vs cvsup

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 26 11:33:37 PST 2006

On 11/25/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:25:45AM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > I use cvsup to maintain a full local copy of the CVS
> > repo. I then use plain cvs to check out different branches
> > of src from it. The problem is while cvsup only takes a
> > minute each time I run it, cvs takes several times more.
> >
> > I run cvsup with "-gs" and cvs with "-rR" flags. Should
> > I run a local cvsupd server or is there another way to
> > speed things up? I only need the repo and the branches
> > in read-only mode.
>
> I guess cvs is slower because it needs to check for local diffs
> before/while merging in changes.  By contrast cvsup will just blow
> away any changes you have made.

Yay! I set up a local cvsupd and it now takes under
10 seconds to update any branch, as compared to
5-7 minutes cvs took.

> There's probably not much you can do apart from not checking out full
> trees unless you really need them.

You see, I use different branches in jails and on
boxes, so it makes sense to get the whole repo over
the net and sync to the branches locally.