freebsd desktop | mozilla

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Nov 25 09:01:29 PST 2006

On Friday 24 November 2006 17:41, probsd org wrote:
> I'm a long time proponent of FreeBSD as a server. For a long time I've
> really wanted a FreeBSD system as a desktop. So, I decided to install the
> FreeBSD 6.2 and compile xorg, gnome, mozilla, etc... to give it a whirl.
>
>   For anyone reading this, who wants the same thing.
>
>   DO NOT DO IT.  Nothing works. java is borked, mozilla and firefox are
> borked, gnome is ify.... ugh.
>
>   Just dont do it.  As a server, I highly recommend it... but it isn't
> ready for the desktop.

Just out of curiosity, what version of FreeBSD started you as a proponent?
Is "long-time" more than, say, six months?  Long enough to know how to
compile a kernel?  Long enough to have used portupgrade?

I've been using FreeBSD productively for various combinations of server and
desktop solutions since 3.4-RELEASE.  I'm glad to say that I cannot claim to
never having problems with FreeBSD.  If that were true then I think I would
never have learned anything.  Thankfully the learning curve is steep, and
never seems to quite level out.

While I'll admit that the desktop features supported by FreeBSD are sometimes
lacking, I recognize that FreeBSD does not itself provide a desktop
interface.  Thus for desktop issues I turn to X.org, KDE.org, or whatever
project handles the feature I'm interested in.

If you are actually interested in using FreeBSD on your desktop then maybe you
don't know how to start.

Try this:  send a question to freebsd-questions at freebsd.org.

If this is what you feel you've done with the subject line "freebsd desktop |
mozilla" then ... maybe you could rephrase the question.  Something
like "when I type 'mozilla' I get the error message 'BORKED!'" would be a
little more helpful.

lane