pure freebsd as backup server or freenas?

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 15:44:55 PST 2006

Hi folks,

I'm expecting to receive two harddisks which I've
bought to put in a old pc to act as backup server. Now
I'm planning it all and got stuck because of the
options and particularly I'm having the following two
choices:

a) install a pure freebsd 6.1 box with geom/geli
capabilities
b) install freenas (www.freenas.org)

Can somebody share his/her feelings regarding this
matter? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both
solutions?

I guess I would really like to have a stable
environment and mirroring and encryption are important
to mee.

Hope somenody can help.

Thanks