raid advice

Petre Bandac petre at kgb.ro
Mon Nov 20 02:43:39 PST 2006

hallo

I have had a previous experience with gmirror raid 1 following dru
lavigne's howto
(http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html)

however, it did not behave as I expected (and as other raid arrays I
have on linux - if a disk is removed, the system keeps working and on
reboot the array is ran in degraded mode)

I have manually pulled out a disk from the array and upon booting I was
put to a console to specify the root filesystem and so on

I have the following question:

what is your choice of software raid on freebsd if behaviour
on disk failures (this implies the time for hot-adding disks to array,
reconstructing, recovering data, debugging, etc is at the minimum) is
the most important criterion ?

thanks,

petre

--