Issue with filehandles being released under 6.1-RELEASE?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 10 21:10:02 UTC 2006

Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issues that I
am.. it's related to Samba-3.0.22c and sockets / filehandles.

For some odd reason every couple days (~2 days) I have to restart the
smbd daemon because it eats up 6000+ filehandles, just for sockets I
assume (based on netstat output). At the point where it reaches 8000
some filehandles open, the system refuses to fork, forcing me to login
as root on the console directly instead of via SSH.

My machine is a local / preferred master (smbd fights with XP Home
clients because they want to be master browsers), with limited access to
a few XP clients (<4 clients at any given point in time), plus an XBox
using smbclient with XBox Media Center.

Helpful info:
[root at hoover /home/gcooper]# uname -a
FreeBSD hoover.localdomain 6.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #9:
Mon Oct 16 02:14:29 PDT 2006
gcooper at hoover.localdomain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOOVER  i386

/usr/local/etc/smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   encrypt passwords = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 3 passdb:4 auth:4
#   log level = 5
   local master =  yes
   preferred master = yes
   dns proxy = no
   guest ok = no

[shared]
   path = /shared
   writeable = yes
   public = yes
   hosts deny = shiina pinocchio
   guest ok = no
   create mask = 0775

The only changes that I've made to smb.conf between now and when I last
accessed samba is that I've removed an unneeded share and removed guest
advertisement for my shares (need password / username anyhow to login,
so I figured I might as well..).

TIA,
-Garrett