Apache log rotation question...

Brown, Steve Steve at nurserysupplies.com
Wed Nov 8 20:10:29 UTC 2006

I am using cronolog to handle the logging end of apache.  Cronolog basically takes care of the logging for apache, allowing you much more flexibility with the logging options.

Assuming..
1. You have cronolog installed
2. /path/to/your/logs/vhost1/ is a valid path

A sample Apache config line would read (main or virtual host context):

   ErrorLog "|cronolog /path/to/your/logs/vhost1/%Y%m%d_error.log"
   CustomLog "|cronolog /path/to/your/logs/vhost1/%Y%m%d_access.log" combined

I this example, you will generate logs with the names 20061108_error.log and 20061108_access.log respectively and each day (midnight server time) cronolog will auto-gen new ones as soon as apache sends it something to log.  Using this method, cronolog is doing the logging for Apache specifically the way when where and how you want it negating the need for further scripting and manipulating of the logs afterward.

Hope that helps.
Steve