About "how the GUI should look like after installation!"

Evans Durandisse evans000_1999 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 01:18:15 UTC 2006

I am brand new to unix. I m a beginner student in computer engineering. I wanted to install
freeBSD since there's such a fuss about it. I got the iso images and mounted them on a CD with Alcohol 120. I installed freebsd without much configuration. I answered 'no' when asked to configure things what could be configured later. But I do not know if I installed it right, eventhough I tried to follow the instructions from the handbook. When I open my computer, after installation, there's the screen that asked if I want to start freebsd or dos. So I choose freebsd. Then, I logged in and typed 'startx' to start the gui (that's what I should do! right!). Consequently, it'd been loaded. I am just seeing four comand shells. That's all I can see! No taskbars! No background picture (greying grinded dots: like pixels in a low definition image). There're just four squared box (shell). My mouse worked! But there's nothing it can be used for. I tried to work myself over that by typing some commands. But I don't know that much of the Unix language; so it's been to no avail! So my question is should I get this kind of graphic environment? or something missing in the installation.

     I have an intel D845GLVA motherboard with a Pent IV, integrated video card, Samsung SyncMaster 753DF (maybe it's the hardware). But I didn't get any error message for that.
    Thank you for considering helping! Have a good day!
Evans