printing pdf

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Nov 2 00:55:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:13:12 -0700 (MST)
"RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN" <luck at computerking.ca> wrote:

> thanks norbert i have installed cups now but am getting the error
>
> lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
>
> have messed around with the cupsd.conf to try and allow access but am getting
> nowhere any ideas? also read through the cups trouble shooting section but
> they are incomplete.

Hey Ryan,
1) make sure cupsd is running  : /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start ( as root , or
sudo)

2) configure your printers via http://localhost:631 . You may be asked to
authenticate at a certain point (when you actually add the printer) - you need
to enter root and your root's password

3) you should check that your lpr apps are the cups-aware ones (cups should
replace the system ones with its own versions). I'm sure there's a way to tell
lpr to show you the printers available, but I can't remember it now ( lpstat
should help, but that's part of cups port, so it doesnt really apply)

anyway, thjis is what I have installed:

$ pkg_info  | grep -i cups
cups-1.2.2          The Common UNIX Printing System: Metaport to install comple
cups-base-1.2.2     The Common UNIX Printing System
cups-pdf-2.4.2      A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
cups-pstoraster-8.15 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers
cups-samba-5.0.r3   The Common UNIX Printing System:  MS Windows client drivers
gtklp-1.2.2         A gtk interface to cups
libgnomecups-0.2.2_1,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration

4) in your program, select the right printer to print to and off you go. If you
need to use lpr, simply use lpr -PYOURPRINTERNAME.

For testing, I have created a PDF virtual printer in cupsd :
date | lpr -PPDF_PRINTER
should do. the resulting PDF will end up in /var/spool/cups-pdf/[YOUR_USERNAME]

good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

  Albert Einstein

Warned.