losing the -z option to moused worked?

John Reynolds johnjen at reynoldsnet.org
Wed Mar 8 04:15:38 UTC 2006

Hello all, I recently upgraded my system from an ancient 5.1-CURRENT to
6.1-BETA2 and all was going fine until my trusty Logitech plain-jane 3-button
mouse with scroll wheel wouldn't scroll with the wheel :)

I grepped the list archives and googled quite a bit and it appears that in Xorg
6.9.0 they changed some behavior regarding mouse buttons.

I had had "-z 4" in my moused_flags variable before in 5.1-CURRENT so I put
that in there this time too. However, after changing a million different
settings of ZAxisMapping and Buttons and ButtonMapping (as some people on the
net had suggested) nothing was working.

So, just experimenting I took the "-z 4" out of moused's flags, shut it down
and restarted it and entered X with

        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"

in my X config and low and behold things "behave" like I expect them to with
wheel scrolls automatically mapping to button4/button5 events.

So, I'm not sure if others who have tracked 6-STABLE have had this happen with
the latest Xorg brought in, but perhaps this is the proper solution that might
work for others. All I know is that it worked, so therefore I'm happy :)

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen at reynoldsnet.org        www.reynoldsnet.org
Structural / Physical Design - DEG/NSG SCD     jreynold at sedona.ch.intel.com
Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.               FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
"Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses."