Please help - adaptec 2820sa not allowing installation

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Mon Jun 19 00:27:23 UTC 2006

I did all my due diligence, I contacted freebsd-fs and _made sure_ that
even though the 2820sa is not listed by name in the HCL, that I could take
a 6.1-RELEASE cd and install freebsd on a 2820sa.

I was _assured_ that these cards are supported in 6.1-RELEASE, that all is
well, and I could install and that was that.

Now I boot off of the 6.1-RELEASE cd, and sysinstall tells me "no disks
found".

I tried safe mode, same result.  I tried disabling all unnecessary items
from the BIOS (onboard sata, USB, com2, LPT) and same result.

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE iso just does not find a disk controller.  Period.

So ... what do I do ??  I see no way of adding a driver to sysinstall
.. .and even if I did I have no idea what to put there, as the published
driver from adaptec is only for 5.x.

I have to assume that aac is built into the sysinstall kernel, so what
gives ?  Why can't sysinstall see my 2820sa cards ? (and drives)

Thanks.