Firefox crashes and hangs my 6.1R system

freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au
Thu Jun 8 03:16:30 UTC 2006

Hi Adi,

Thanks for the reply :)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:23:46 +0300, Adi Pircalabu wrote:

>I tried to reproduce it on two 6.1-STABLE systems but with no result,
>file upload works just fine. I have a bad feeling that it's very hard
>to reproduce.
>On the other hand, did the problem started to occur at a specified
>date? Can you link the problem with a world / ports update?

Yes, this problem seems to have begun after the upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE
to 6.1-RELEASE-p1, though it's hard to see the connection.

>Try to reproduce the above described behaviour and jump over with gdb.
>Sort of:
>
>gdb /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/firefox-bin <pid-of-firefox-bin>
>(... wait)
>(gdb) t a a bt full

Excuse my ignorance - I take it I need to

	o start firefox normally
	o run gdb as above
	o invoke the crash situation
	o then ... ?

I'm just hoping that there's enough cpu left to save something at that
point!

>> options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
>
>Do you need SCHED_ULE? Try SCHED_4BSD instead, Ff is very picky when it
>comes to threads.

I probably don't - I added this after reading /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and
it hadn't bitten me until maybe now.  I'll recompile the kernel with
SCHED_4BSD before I carry on.

cheers,
-- Joel Hatton --
Infrastructure Manager              | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au