Firefox crashes and hangs my 6.1R system

Adi Pircalabu apircalabu at bitdefender.com
Wed Jun 7 17:47:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:46:46 +1000 freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au
wrote:

> Lately, and seemingly inexplicably, firefox will lock up my X server
> with it if I click a button where filesystem access is required eg.
> if I'm in an 'upload file' form and a 'Browse...' button is available
> to go to a filesystem browser. If I ssh into the machine remotely I
> can see that Xorg is using 90+% CPU and the only way to recover is to
> reboot (which doesn't even execute cleanly). Interestingly, I can
> reproduce this situation when running firefox on a remote host but
> displaying locally so it seems more likely X/system related than
> specifically firefox.  When the machine hangs, even the keyboard is
> non functional eg scroll lock won't light. I have USB keyboard/mouse.

Hi Joel,

I tried to reproduce it on two 6.1-STABLE systems but with no result,
file upload works just fine. I have a bad feeling that it's very hard
to reproduce.
On the other hand, did the problem started to occur at a specified
date? Can you link the problem with a world / ports update?
However:

> I'd appreciate any tips for diagnosis/recovery. I've appended the most
> relevant configuration information. I've already rebuilt and installed
> kernel/world to ensure I'm up to date, and portupgraded as much as
> practicable. I should note that I haven't changed my build options for
> firefox since pre-crash, either.

Try to reproduce the above described behaviour and jump over with gdb.
Sort of:

gdb /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/firefox-bin <pid-of-firefox-bin>
(... wait)
(gdb) t a a bt full
Save the output for all threads and post it on freebsd-gnome@
But wait, there's more :)

> regards,
> -- Joel Hatton --
> Infrastructure Manager              | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
> AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
> The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
> Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au
>
> Firefox options:
>
> # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
> # No user-servicable parts inside!
> # Options for firefox-1.5.0.4,1
[...]
> WITH_LOGGING=true
> WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=true

The above options are not the defaults for Ff, try rebuilding it using:
WITHOUT_LOGGING=true
WITHOUT_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=true

> 6.1-RELEASE-p1

[snip]

> My current kernel config file:
>
> machine         i386
> cpu             I686_CPU
> ident           GX260
> options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler

Do you need SCHED_ULE? Try SCHED_4BSD instead, Ff is very picky when it
comes to threads.

--
Adi Pircalabu (PGP Key ID 0x04329F5E)

For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/