installkernel

Jonathan Herriott herriojr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:14:51 UTC 2006

Ok, so I obtained the latest release of the kernel source, and I followed
what it said to do in the /usr/src/Makefile.  Here's what it says in the
Makefile:

# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source
tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is
GENERIC).
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them
anymore)
#

Because this is my first time trying to install the kernel, I'm just using
the GENERIC configuration (will fix it once I figure out the correct
process).  Here's the errors I get when doing installkernel:

make installkernel
ERROR: Required audit group is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

The big problem is that nothing in /usr/src/UPDATING really explains why it
is doing this or what I need to change.  Here's what it says:

20060204:
        The 'audit' group was added to support the new auditing
functionality
        in the base system.  Be sure to follow the directions for updating,
        including the requirement to run mergemaster -p.

As far as the Makefile goes, I am building and installing the makefile
correctly.  Is there anything else I need to add?

Thanks,
Jonathan Herriott