installkernel

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Jun 6 17:27:43 UTC 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Jonathan Herriott wrote:

> Ok, so I obtained the latest release of the kernel source, and I
> followed
> what it said to do in the /usr/src/Makefile.  Here's what it says
> in the
> Makefile:
>
> # For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
> # delta of a few days):
> #
> #  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source
> tree).
> #  2.  `make buildworld'
> #  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
> GENERIC).
> #  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is
> GENERIC).
> #  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
> prompt).
> #  6.  `mergemaster -p'
> #  7.  `make installworld'
> #  8.  `make delete-old'
> #  9.  `mergemaster'
> # 10.  `reboot'
> # 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them
> anymore)
> #
>
> Because this is my first time trying to install the kernel, I'm
> just using
> the GENERIC configuration (will fix it once I figure out the correct
> process).  Here's the errors I get when doing installkernel:
>
> make installkernel
> ERROR: Required audit group is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>

> The big problem is that nothing in /usr/src/UPDATING really
> explains why it
> is doing this or what I need to change.  Here's what it says:
>
> 20060204:
>        The 'audit' group was added to support the new auditing
> functionality
>        in the base system.  Be sure to follow the directions for
> updating,
>        including the requirement to run mergemaster -p.
>
> As far as the Makefile goes, I am building and installing the makefile
> correctly.  Is there anything else I need to add?

You need to merge your /etc/groups and the new /etc/groups that
contains the audit group.
# mergemaster -p
then start over.

BTW, /usr/src/UPDATING is the definitive source for how to update
your system/kernel.
Also reference the Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

--