ln -s in FreeBSD 6.1

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Jul 18 21:31:56 UTC 2006

gs_stoller at juno.com wrote:
> 	In  FreeBSD 6.1 , there was created a directory named  /var .
> I created a subdirectory in it named  homes , and in that more
> subdirectories, one per user in  /home .
> 	As a plain user , I tried to create (while in my home directory)
> a subdirectory named  var  by typing
> 		ln -s  /var/homes/me  var
> 	Then I checked it by typing 'ls -l  var' and got
> 		/compat/linux/var
> as the destination of the link.  What is happening?  Is this a bug in
>  FreeBSD 6.1 ?

No:

# uname -a
FreeBSD archangel.daleco.biz 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #2: Sat May
27 07:15:18 CDT 2006
root at archangel.daleco.biz:/usr/obj/backup/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

# sudo mkdir -p /var/homes/me

                                       # pwd
/usr/home/kadmin

                                       # ln -s /var/homes/me var

                                       # ls -l var
lrwxr-xr-x  1 kadmin  wheel  13 Jul 18 16:20 var@ -> /var/homes/me

What shell are you using?  Or, did you do this from some
other program?  Can you show the actual output?  You've given
a very descriptive message right up to "A subdirectory named var";
ln(1) does not create subdirectories.

Kevin Kinsey