ln -s in FreeBSD 6.1

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Jul 18 22:34:05 UTC 2006

"gs_stoller at juno.com" <gs_stoller at juno.com> wrote:

> 	In  FreeBSD 6.1 , there was created a directory named  /var .
> I created a subdirectory in it named  homes , and in that more
> subdirectories, one per user in  /home .
> 	As a plain user , I tried to create (while in my home directory)
> a subdirectory named  var  by typing
> 		ln -s  /var/homes/me  var
> 	Then I checked it by typing 'ls -l  var' and got
> 		/compat/linux/var
> as the destination of the link.  What is happening?  Is this a bug in
>  FreeBSD 6.1 ?

It looks as if you've got something weird going on with the linuxulator.

* Can you check "pkg_info | grep linux" and see what you've got?
* What shell are you using?  Is it compiled natively for FreeBSD or
  did you install a Linux shell from rpm or something?
* Please check "file `which ln`" to ensure it's a FreeBSD binary
  and not a Linux one.

--
Bill Moran

ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about
     killing?
BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of
      kneecaps.