4.6-RELEASE to 6.0-RELEASE...

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Jan 11 09:57:46 PST 2006

Crispy Beef wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a production server running 4.6-RELEASE and I
> would like to bring it upto date and get 6.0-RELEASE on there.
> I have a rough idea of what needs to be done to accomplish
> this from reading various docs but it would be nice to see
> how smoothly it has gone for any others.
>
> From what I can tell I first need to upgrade to a minimum of
> 5.3-RELEASE and then onto 6.0, so I guess doing a cvsup to
> the 5.3-RELEASE and then doing buildworld et all?  Then
> from there to same to get to 6.0?
>
> My main concern is the filesystem, it's been updated since 4.x?
> Will this mess things up?
>
> The machine is remote so I really need to make sure this works
> without making it inaccessible.  I have a box here to trial run the
> process on so I get the steps correct first time, but thought I'd ask
> here too. :-)

I'd suggest going to 4.10/11 first, then do a very careful migration
to 5.X (have you read the Migration Guide written by Bruce Mah??).

5-->6 is easy.  There are potential pitfalls to 4->5, IIRC.

As for the filesystems, since you'll be doing an inplace
upgrade, it won't be an issue.  FreeBSD 5/6 still "Just Works"
with ufs instead of ufs2 --- you'll just miss whatever benefits
you might receive from the newer filesystem.

If you want ufs2, you'll have to reformat your disk(s), so
why not just backup/reinstall in that case?

But then again, since it's remote, it'd be kinda tough to
reinstall unless you've another box and serial console
capability.  So, nothing else to do.

Easy decision, then?  Heh ... ;-)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
We all know that no one understands anything that isn't funny.