FreeBSD 6.0: Problem with network, doesn't use default

Christer Folkesson christer at aqualize.tk
Tue Jan 3 14:35:34 PST 2006

Glenn Dawson wrote:

> At 07:18 AM 1/3/2006, Christer Folkesson wrote:
>
>> Hi, this is my first message to the mailing-list. I hope that I have
>> included
>> enough information about the problem.
>>
>> The problem is that my FreeBSD 6.0 (release) won't use the default route
>> (gateway). So I can't access anything on the internet.
>>
>> Hardware and network equipment:
>> Dell latitude D810 (Pentium M 2.0 GHz, 1.5 GB of primary memory,
>> broadcom
>> gigabit/fast/"normal" ethernet controller).
>> The broadcom chip uses the bge driver. I have looked in the man page
>> for that
>> and no troubles or something like that is mentioned.
>> IPv4 address: 192.168.0.228 /25
>>
>> The gateway is a netgear RP614 broadband router. IPv4: 192.168.0.199 /25
>>
>> Also a windows 2003 server is acting as DNS-server for my network.
>>
>> FreeBSD shares the computer with windows XP pro SP2 using dual boot.
>> In windows it works fine so this convince me that it's a software
>> problem in
>> FreeBSD.
>>
>> As said, it works perfectly fine inside the LAN, but not outside.
>>

>> I include a dmesg output (at the bottom) if that is of any importance
>> and also
>> output from ifconfig, netstat -nr, ping and traceroute.
>> I was logged in as root while testing this.
>> Notice that because I'm using an internal DNS-server I can do lookups.
>> Obviously that wouldn't have been possible with the DNS-server
>> provided by my
>> ISP.
>

> I don't see anything obviously wrong with the configuration info you
> sent below.  The problem you are having is more likely in the router
> you are using, but without that configuration info, it's impossible to
> tell.
>
> Are you using dhcp to assign IP addresses?  If so, is the router doing
> that job or something else?
>
> Since you mentioned that it works when you boot into windows, are the
> network settings the same? (IP, netmask, default route ,etc) or is
> windows configured to use something different?
>
> How is NAT configured in the router?  Does it's configuration cover
> the 192.168.0.228 address?
>
> -Glenn

Problem is solved!
Sometimes oneself must be told to re-think what you think you already have
though of ;-)

(I'm not using DHCP for the record)

The network settings for the broadcom controller wasn't the same in windows,
but the same as the intel p/w 2915 wireless controller in windows.
IP for broadcom in windows was 192.168.0.225 /25 and .228 for the wireless.

My conclusion is that the netgear RP614 played along fine in the LAN.
For example I had no problem accessing it's web-interface.
BUT when it comes to do NAT:ing it must have remembered the MAC of .228
(since I had used windows right before freebsd) and the NAT function of it
refuse to understand that it has to use another MAC for sending back
information.

After changing the broadcom controller's IP in freebsd to 192.168.0.225 /25
it works perfectly.

Thanks to you all for your replys. I have still some endeavors left before
freebsd is like a hand in the glove on my laptop, but hopefully I won't
run in to "unresolvable" problems =)

/ Christer