SSHD working in a funky fashion

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Feb 28 03:32:56 PST 2006

Kurt Buff wrote:

>I have set up a desktop box with 3 dual port Intel NICs as a router,
>which function it seems to be performing just fine.
>
>I used to be able to ssh into the box from my Windows machines with no
>problem, but now it hangs after I enter the user name - it won't come
>back with the password prompt.
>
>It's FreeBSD 6.0 Release, and I've installed samba/cups on it, with
>nothing else on it.
>
>I'm not seeing any particular errors in syslog or in dmesg, except
>when I try to connect to via putty from my Windows boxen. Then it
>says:
>
>sshd: fatal: timeout before authentication from 192.168.11.63

Can you ssh from one of your other FreeBSD boxes to this box?  If not
then try "ssh -v -v -v" which may point you in the right direction.

If it's just Windows which can't login, then try running sshd in debug
mode and see if that tells you anything.  from man sshd

     -d      Debug mode.  The server sends verbose debug output to the
system
             log, and does not put itself in the background.  The server
also
             will not fork and will only process one connection.  This
option
             is only intended for debugging for the server.  Multiple -d
             options increase the debugging level.  Maximum is 3.

If none of that shows anything useful, then maybe you have some network
level problem.  Does any kind of connection from Windows work?  E.g.
Samba shared drive?  Ftp?  Or even (for testing only) telnet, since
putty does that too?

If it's a network level problem, then some more info about your topology
might be helpful.  E.g. are all these machines on the same LAN segment
connected to the same switch?

--Alex

PS I assume you've tried your error message through google?