Blocking an individual email address

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Thu Feb 16 07:55:21 PST 2006

> Jim Csoka wrote:
> > No...I ran make maps, as well as make install for the blacklist
feature,
> > and make restart.
> >
> > However, here is something interesting.  When I access my
corporate
> > email via openwebmail, it functions as I would expect....you
cannot send
> > or receive to the given address.  However, when using Outlook
Express
> > (internal mail client at work), you can still send mail to the
address I
> > am trying to block.
> >
> > Why should this be so?
> >
> Are you sure Outlook Express is configured to use your FreeBSD
server
> for SMTP? Send an email to yourself using Outlook Express then
look at
> the message source and check the headers to verify which SMTP
server
> is sending the message.
>
> --
> Ken Stevenson
> Allen-Myland Inc.

Yes, I'm sure.  It is the incoming and outgoing SMTP server.  It's
the only
one we have.

-Jim

Yes that may be the only one you have, but that does not stop the
user from configuring their outlook express from using their
personal email account at their ISP. To stop this you can add
firewall rules to deny all LAN traffic out to ports 25 & 110 by
coding the private LAN ip address range in the rule "from" option.
Since your SMTP service is on the gateway box where the firewall is
your outbound port 25 will pass because your using the public ip
address or if that is not the case then just add a rule before the
deny rule to pass your SMTP LAN ip address.

o unsubscribe, send any mail to