Blocking an individual email address

James Csoka jimcsoka at dominionfirstmortgage.com
Thu Feb 16 08:00:36 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <bob at a1poweruser.com>
To: "James Csoka" <jimcsoka at dominionfirstmortgage.com>; "Ken Stevenson"
<ken at allenmyland.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:55 AM
Subject: RE: Blocking an individual email address

> > Jim Csoka wrote:
> > > No...I ran make maps, as well as make install for the blacklist
> feature,
> > > and make restart.
> > >
> > > However, here is something interesting.  When I access my
> corporate
> > > email via openwebmail, it functions as I would expect....you
> cannot send
> > > or receive to the given address.  However, when using Outlook
> Express
> > > (internal mail client at work), you can still send mail to the
> address I
> > > am trying to block.
> > >
> > > Why should this be so?
> > >
> > Are you sure Outlook Express is configured to use your FreeBSD
> server
> > for SMTP? Send an email to yourself using Outlook Express then
> look at
> > the message source and check the headers to verify which SMTP
> server
> > is sending the message.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Stevenson
> > Allen-Myland Inc.
> >

> Yes, I'm sure.  It is the incoming and outgoing SMTP server.  It's
> the only
> one we have.
>
> -Jim

> Yes that may be the only one you have, but that does not stop the
> user from configuring their outlook express from using their
> personal email account at their ISP. To stop this you can add
> firewall rules to deny all LAN traffic out to ports 25 & 110 by
> coding the private LAN ip address range in the rule "from" option.
> Since your SMTP service is on the gateway box where the firewall is
> your outbound port 25 will pass because your using the public ip
> address or if that is not the case then just add a rule before the
> deny rule to pass your SMTP LAN ip address.

Understood.  However, most everyone here in my office (a mortgage company of
about 25 people) can barely even spell the word computer much less use one
effectively.  And, aside from that, I am running these tests from my windows
client, so I can verify that it is configured correctly for the purpose of
running these tests.  Although I wish it were as simple as someone using a
different SMTP server....it would make my life easier :P