remote x-window

Beech Rintoul akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
Fri Feb 3 02:36:29 PST 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 00:23, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > I have sort of a newbie question. How do I connect to a remote
> > machine with
> > x-windows and get a desktop? Could someone point me in the right
> > direction as
> > I've never had a need to to do it before. I do have ssh to the
> > machine.
> >
> > Beech

> 	For strictly a X11 forwarded solution, do something like the following:
>
> user at local_host $ ssh -CY user at remote_host
> user at remote_host $ twm& # or xfwm4 or something else like that.
>
> 	For a VNC solution, I suggest using x11vnc. By using SSH forwarding
> and compression you can easily attach to a preexisting desktop session.
> -Garrett

Thanks for the pointers.  I googled for vnc and it doesn't look very hard to
configure. Plus, KDE supports it. Think I'll go with that.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com