remote x-window

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 3 01:22:43 PST 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:

> I have sort of a newbie question. How do I connect to a remote
> machine with
> x-windows and get a desktop? Could someone point me in the right
> direction as
> I've never had a need to to do it before. I do have ssh to the
> machine.
>
> Beech
> --

> -----------------
> Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech at alaskaparadise.com
> /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
> \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
>  X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99501
> / \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com

	For strictly a X11 forwarded solution, do something like the following:

user at local_host $ ssh -CY user at remote_host
user at remote_host $ twm& # or xfwm4 or something else like that.

	For a VNC solution, I suggest using x11vnc. By using SSH forwarding
and compression you can easily attach to a preexisting desktop session.
-Garrett