skype and other *phones

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 23:19:07 PST 2006

On 12/12/06, Renegade Penguin <renegadepenguin at comcast.net> wrote:

> Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
> >
> > If you are open to suggestions on other  phone systems, I have been very
> > much enjoying my gizmo account.  (gizmoproject.com)  I generally use
> > ekiga
> > to connect to it, but the benefit of gizmo is that it uses the
> > standard SIP
> > protocol for accessing the service.  Further, the rates are quite
> > good.  For
> > free it gives services like incoming phone calls, voice mail, and free
> > SIP<->SIP calls.  For a $.01/minute (for US numbers) fee it gives
> > outgoing
> > to-landline calls.  Don't mean to sound like an advertisement, I just
> > love
> > open standards being used.
> >
> > Eric Kjeldergaard
> >
> Yes, but the gizmoproject is particularly onerous.  Look at the EULA:
>
> http://www.gizmoproject.com/gizmo-end-user.html
>
> Michael Robertson is the head of that project, IIRC.  Fairly nasty EULA
> for using such "open" terms.  Can't even redistribute the software.
>
> Pity.

As a bit of clarification, I'd like to note that I make no endorsement of
the gizmo _software_ which this EULA regards.  It is instead that the
service with its SIP standard implementation that I enjoy.  I was initially
a bit upset that their software was not open source, but as the major
alternative (skype) is both closed protocal and closed source, I choose the
lesser of two weevils.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.