permissions dilemma

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Apr 30 11:45:16 UTC 2006

jekillen wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
> > jekillen wrote:

> >> Sorry, yes it does work that way. I've done this on another
> >> machine running the same version of FreeBSD and the instruction
> >> specifically specify to start the daemon this way to test the install.
> >> (I installed from source on both machines using the same source
> >> tarball).
> >> Every time I start this machine I start MySQL manually this way.
> >> (Since this is a production server, it is up continuously and
> >> it doesn't have Xwindows installed)
> >> This is a possibility, I'll check it out.

> >> not according to the instruction in the INSTALL-SOURCE.
> >> I'm confused as to the class of user to assign mysql to.
> >> It shouldn't be a user that anyone can login as, nor have
> >> it's own home dir or login shell should it? adduser asks
> >> and expects answers to all these questions. I don't recall
> >> what I did on the machine that is running mysql. I guess
> >> I could look at the password file on that machine to get
> >> some idea.
> >> Since the machine that won't start MySQL also has
> >> XWindows intalled, the kdm login prompt list mysql
> >> as a user that can log into a windowing session.
> >> That shouldn't be necessary at all. That is why I
> >> think the issue with the screen saver daemon
> >> is connected to this.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, are you installing MySQL from the ports system?
> > am just wondering because I have never had to take any extraneous steps
> > to get MySQL up and running. After installing from ports, I would just
> > run the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and things would work fine.
> > Obviously, I had to place the mysql_enable="YES" notation in
> > /etc/rc.conf prior to starting MySQL. After that I would just create
> > the
> > passwords, etc.
> No, I installed it from a source tarball following the INSTALL-SOURCE
> instructions, the O'Reilly book, MySQL Reference Manual, and
> /configure --help
> I did this on two machines with AMD64 processors and FreeBSD v6.0 from
> a packaged cd set. On both machines, I installed from the same source
> tarball
> One has been successful with MySQL and the other not. I have installed
> several other
> non trivial software packages from the same source tarballs on both
> machines
> and they all went through with glitches that I was able to correct or
> work around.
> JK

That would account for the difference in start up procedures then. If
the original poster had installed from the ports collection, the startup
scenario that you described would not be necessary, nor required. I
believe the original poster had installed from ports. You should have
made it known to him that you had not followed that route.

Is there any particular reason that you are avoiding the ports
collection for obtaining and install MySQL?

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

"The frustrating thing is that the key to success doesn't always fit
your ignition."

     Anonymous