BIND inside a jail on FreeBSD 6.0

patrick gibblertron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 01:25:07 UTC 2006

I'm trying to run BIND inside a jail on FreeBSD 6.0, and I'm
encountering the following problem:

[root at jail /var/named]# /etc/rc.d/named start
mount_devfs: Operation not permitted
/etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: devfs_domount(): Unable to mount devfs on
/var/named/dev
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
Starting named.

And then it doesn't start...

(I realize that BIND already runs in a chroot'd environment, but I'm
running a second copy of BIND on an existing development server as a
secondary test environment.)

The problem looks like it originates in /etc/rc.d/named:

        # Mount a devfs in the chroot directory if needed
        #
        umount ${named_chrootdir}/dev 2>/dev/null
        devfs_domount ${named_chrootdir}/dev devfsrules_hide_all
        devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path null unhide
        devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path random unhide

I tried mounting the devfs outside the jail to the jail's
/var/named/dev, and then commenting out these lines above, but named
will still not start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick