Running an X application as root? (getting printer set in openoffice)

Oliver Iberien oliver.iberien at charter.net
Fri Apr 7 01:08:22 UTC 2006

In order to set the printer setting for openoffice.org-2.0.2 I have to, as far
as I know, run the program /usr/local/openoffice.org-2.0.2/program/spadmin as
root. (The default settings are for lp and I am using cups.) It's a series of
dialogs in windows and so I've tried to set the display. I get a "no protocol
specified" error.

bsd# setenv DISPLAY ":0.0"
bsd# /usr/local/openoffice.org-2.0.2/program/spadmin
Xlib: No protocol specified

I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
Xlib: No protocol specified

/usr/local/openoffice.org-2.0.2/program/spadmin.bin X11 error: Can't open
display: :0.0
   Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
   or check permissions of your X-Server
   (See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

I looked at the xhost page and tried:

bsd# xhost +root
Xlib: No protocol specified

The same thing happened with xhost +. What am I missing?

Oliver

PS Using sudo does not work as for some reason when I try to run spadmin with
sudo, spadmin can't find libraries it needs that are in its own folder.
su-ing gets the same result as running as root, and deleting
~/.openoffice.org-2.0.2 and running spadmin as a normal user changes
nothing -- apparently nothing printer-related is in there.