FIXED Running an X application as root? (getting printer set in openoffice)

Oliver Iberien oliver.iberien at charter.net
Fri Apr 7 01:19:57 UTC 2006

About 30 seconds after I finally sent this, I found the answer. It's always a
matter of phrasing the Google search correctly:

$ xhost +local:local
non-network local connections being added to access control list
$ su
Password:
bsd# /usr/local/openoffice.org-2.0.2/program/spadmin
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
bsd#

... and it worked. xhosts refers to networks not usernames. You run it as a
normal user, then switch to su, then execute the command. I found the answer
here:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-xfree86/2004-Feb/0028.html

Sounds like a really insecure thing for a sysadmin to do, though. I'm just the
only user of a home machine. Sorry for using up list space, but perhaps this
might help someone else down the line.

Oliver