6.0 panics on boot

Hans Nieser h.nieser at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 7 01:19:07 GMT 2005

Derek Ragona wrote:

> I have a computer that has been running FreeBSD 4.X and 5.X without
> problems.  It runs 5.4 with no problems at all.  This system has an
> Intel 845 Motherboard and chipset, Intel Pentium 4 1.6 GHz CPU, 1 GB
> RAM, NVidea GEForce MX/MX 400 video card, atapi CD-RW, IDE hard drive,
> standard floppy.  Nothing very exotic in this hardware.
>
> I tried first to cvsup to 6.0, and rebuild everything.  The build was
> fine including a custom kernel, but when I tried to boot the new 6.0, I
> got a panic, Fatal trap 12, page fault at the NVidea driver in the
> boot.  So I re-booted the kernel.old, reverted my sources to 5.4 and
> rebuilt the system all again.
>
> As the system rebuilt I downloaded and burned the ISO 6.0 image.
>
> I tried to boot the ISO image and do a binary upgrade.  The CD booted
> 6.0 fine, and the upgrade installed with only one error that the X.org
> was already present.  When I tried to boot the new 6.0 GENERIC kernel
> that was installed, I got the same panic/page fault error I had when I
> updated via cvsup.
>
> But since the same GENERIC kernel boots fine from CD I suspect there may
> be some loader options I might need?  I'd appreciate any help with
> getting 6.0 to boot without the panic.
>
> Thanks

Hi Derek,

You probably just have to stop the nvidia driver from loading by
specifying "unset nvidia_load" at the boot prompt and reinstall the nvidia
driver once the system is booted.

That's what I did at least, and I have had no problems while I've heard
from other people that didn't disable and rebuilt their nvidia drivers
that they also got panics on boot.