Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found error when installinglogrotate port - how to solve this?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Mar 15 13:26:50 PST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 02:08 am, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have run into a weird issue, which for some reason doesn't want to
> get resolved.
>
> I am using FreeBSD 5.2.1 Release i386, and my ports tree is recent
> (via /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile).
>
> However, when trying to install the logrotate port (i.e. version
> logrotate-3.7_3 - located in /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate/), I keep
> getting the following error:

>* millennics# make install
> ===>  Building for logrotate-3.7_3
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate.
>*
>
> Now, I tried perform a 'make clean' and a 'make depend' as well, but
> all to no avail.
>
> Searching on the Internet suggests that this is due to 'gettext'. So,
> I tried reinstalling that as well, but still, no luck.
>
> The installed gettext packages are:
>* millennics# pkg_info | grep gette
> gettext-0.14.1      GNU gettext package
> p5-gettext-1.03     Message handling functions
>*
>
> I guess this is basically o.k., right?!?

No, you have the right version of gettext but you didn't address the
problem.

> Soooooo, the question then winds down to how to resolve this. Can
> anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?

Well, you have a mix bag set of references to gettext. Ports you haven't
rebuilt are still refering to the old library. The interface changed
between .so.5 and .so.6 and you have to rebuild everything that uses
libintl.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart