Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found error wheninstallinglogrotate port - how to solve this?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Wed Mar 16 01:39:26 PST 2005

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your reply!

> No, you have the right version of gettext but you didn't address the
> problem.

I feared as much...:(

>>Soooooo, the question then winds down to how to resolve this. Can
>>anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?
>

> Well, you have a mix bag set of references to gettext. Ports you haven't
> rebuilt are still refering to the old library. The interface changed
> between .so.5 and .so.6 and you have to rebuild everything that uses
> libintl.

Hmmm, to be honest, I'm not certain how I can best fix this. It is my
live server which is up 24/7, and of which I'd rather not break anything
just to get logrotate going....

I considered trying to install it as a package using sysinstall, but
that complains that the fbsd 5.2.1 distribution cannot be found on the
FTP servers anymore.

Ideally, I'd like to (re)build the logrotate port such that it will
work. I guess that does involve doing what you say: rebuilding
everything that depends on the conflicting library. However, I do not
know exactly how to do this.

Can anyone perhaps tell me how I can find out which ports depend on this
library, and how I can correctly update the lot such that it will all
work, and such that I can install the logrotate port correctly?

Cheers!
Olafo