Very slow printing on 5.4 with cups anh HP LaserJet 4L

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:40:14 GMT 2005

asa at ma3x.net wrote:

>I have a problem with very slow printing after replacing 4.1 instalation
>with new 5.4 instalation (clean install, not upgrade). The printer is HP
>4L, and i use it with up to date CUPS (all packages + gimp-print). With
>both CUPS ang gimp-print drivers and default port settings the dokument
>printing speed is about 8k each 1 minute (acording to CUPS web interface).
>There are no error messages from the kernel. With hint.ppc.0.falgs="0x20"
>or "0x80" there is the same effect.
>
>With hint.ppc.0.falgs="0x20", "0x40", "0x48" and "0x88" CUPS web interface
>shows taht first 32k are sent instantly. Then 'Interrupt storm detected on
>"irq5: lpt0"; throttling interrupt source' kernel error message apears and
>the rest of the document prints slow, as in the first example.
>
>I tried this with several standard and HP bidirectional cables. I also
>tried all possible BIOS settings for the port.
>
>The old 4.1 instalation prints without problems.

Hello. I am new to FreeBSD, so if anyone else has better advice on this
matter, please chime in. The only things I can think of are:

1. hint.ppc.0.falgs= is what you typed above twice. Make sure that this
is not misspelled in the device.hints file (it should be flags... not
falgs).
2. Try 0x28.
3. Read a thread from the archives in April 2005 entitled "Very slow
printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C" (
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2005-April/thread.html#84258
). In there, they mention having to possibly remove a line and possibly
adding another one. They also mention some other drivers that might work
better for you.
4. Try going through lptcontrol. Chapter 9 of the FreeBSD Handbook goes
over this a bit.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html

I hope this helps. And, if anyone else has any ideas, please add 'em.
Good luck.

-Anthony