Large filesystem woes

dpk dpk at dpk.net
Thu Jul 28 22:52:32 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Are you trying to start from scratch, or just making changes to the
> existing table?  If it's the second, then try the -u option:
>
> 	# fdisk -u /dev/da0
>
> This should give you a chance to interactively change the partition
> table of the disk.  If this fails too, please show us the exact command
> line you used and the exact error messages.
>
> - Giorgos

Unfortunately I can't run fdisk -u, if that command will wipe out the
partition table, since / is also on the array, just in a smaller
partition.

I found this page:

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/

It was last updated in January. Has there been more progress on this
front? I wonder if this is all a known problem, and I just overlooked it
because of my understanding that UFS2 is supposed to handle large
partitions.