Demon license?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 17 23:14:09 GMT 2005

On Sunday, 17 July 2005 at 16:54:30 -0600, Ray Jenson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> My name is Ray Jenson, and I'm the CEO of a new start-up company in Utah,
> called Red Heron Corporation. Our company has recently decided that we'd
> like to start shipping CD's as a service to our customers. We would
> prominently display a link to the FreeBSD web site, as well as notifying our
> clients of the ability to download the software free.
>
> Here's where Brian Tao comes in: we'd like permission to use the demon on
> our web site when directly linked to BSD, as well as a composite graphic
> (sample is attached)

It doesn't seem to have made it.

> that would show the devil

Devil?  Devil?  That's a daemon!

> alongside other logos, such as Tux, the Red Hat logo, and
> Microsoft's Windows logo. We're in the process of testing our
> hardware configurations before offering BSD-powered machines to our
> clients, which should knock a significant amount off the
> price. These logos are not currently displayed, but I can send you a
> mock-up if you need it.

The daemon is copyright of Kirk McKusick <mckusick at mckusick.com>.  You
should ask him for permission.  In general he gives it if the usage is
BSD-related, as it appears to be in this case.

> Also, I am wondering whom I contact with regard to getting
> authorization to actually ship the software. We wouldn't necessarily
> want ad space anywhere, until we're sure that we can provide timely
> shipments (our processes are still being developed).

The FreeBSD license states the conditions for distribution.  It's in
the file /COPYRIGHT on any installed FreeBSD system.  It's relatively
long, so I won't include it all here, but the salient points are:

  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
  are met:
  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Greg
The virus contained in this message was detected, clubbed to death and
distributed throughout the Internet as vaccine by LEMIS anti-virus.
For further details see http://www.lemis.com/grog/lemis-virus.html

Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.