Demon license?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Jul 18 08:12:14 GMT 2005

Strictly speaking, the IMAGES of the daemon that are on the mckusick.com
website are what is copyrighted.  Nothing is stopping someone from
drawing
a 'devil' image and associating it with FreeBSD.

Over the years there have been many representations of the BSD Daemon.
Not all are copyrighted by Kirk, for example:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/shirts/bsdunix.html
http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/shirts/usenix.html

Both the above are USENIX copyrights - per Kirk.

However, to me the most classic "FreeBSD Daemon" image that has ever been
done has been the 4.3BSD one:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/gif/bsd4_3.gif

That one, and similar variants, I think also are the most recognizable
one
as the "FreeBSD one".  And that one and the variants are copyrighted by
Kirk.

Ted