apache.. i can view my index.html on my LAN but not othersoutside my LAN

James Jhai james at idea-anvil.net
Sun Jan 9 05:11:22 PST 2005

On Sunday 09 January 2005 06:10 am, Matteo Santori wrote:
> Are you sure the machine which is running apache in visible from outside?
>
> example
>
> gw (public ip) -> pc-lan1 (private) -> pc-lan2/apache (private)
>
> if you are not doing port redirecting on 80, ppl connecting to you from
> outside will watch the port 80 on your gw (which is close). Then, I
> suggest to redirect icoming connection on 80 on your machine running apache.
> You can do it in serval ways, just check what do u use and prefer.
> Hope this help,
> Greets,
>
> Matteo
>

> [ kambing ] zaimie wrote:
>
> > i've read all the faqs, handbook and manual
> >
> > i currently have this problem
> >
> > i installed FreeBSD 5.3 Release on one of my systems in my LAN network
> > And installed Apache 1.3.3
> > i did the config and did apachectl start
> > i opened up port 80 on my router and link it to the FreeBSD system
> > However.. i can view the index.html
> > but not others outside my LAN network
> > It states Server not found..
> > How do i let others outside of my LAN to view the index.html thingy in
> > /usr/local/www/data/
> >
> > Thx

Also check your firewall rules and make sure that they aren't blocking inncomming connections to port 80.

If you are using ipfw you will need something like this in /etc/rc.firewall for the firewall section you are using:
(snip from the client section of my rc.firewall)
	# Allow and log connection setup
	${fwcmd} add pass log tcp from any to a.b.c.d 80 setup
	# Continue to allow already established connections
       ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any established

- James