Set user/group for installed files?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Feb 27 18:12:13 GMT 2005

Brent Macnaughton <brentimus at gmail.com> writes:

> I've looked everywhere and i can't seem to find anything. If I build
> software from source, when i do make install, I would like to be able
> to set the owner and group for the installed files at that time so I
> don't have to  go searching all over the file system to find what
> files were installed and change the owner and group on them after. Is
> there any way to specify whcih user/group to install files as?

Normally, they will be installed as the user running the install
command.  The install procedures for many programs will override this,
but the ways in which they do so vary from program to program.

Unless there are setuid programs involved, I don't see why you'd
generally care who owned the files.  [And a few other exceptions,
such as being able to write high score files, etc.]