logging proftpd question

James Alexander Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 22 17:56:14 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:35:25AM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> Presently all my proftpd logging goes to /var/log/messages but
> it is clogging that file because I have an ftp login every couple of
> minutes. I want to redirect proftpd logging. I tried putting
>
> proftpd:* 				/var/log/proftpd.log
>
> in my /etc/syslog.conf
>
> but syslogd complains;
> syslogd: unknown facility name "proftpd"
>
> looking at the man page for proftpd is says;
>
> Each successful and failed ftp(1) session is logged using syslog with a
> facility of LOG_FTP.  Note: LOG_FTP messages are not displayed by  sys-
> logd(8) by default, and may have to be enabled in syslogd(8)'s configu-
> ration file.
>

> So I tried;
>
> LOG_FTP:*				/var/log/proftpd.log
>
> still no go.
>
> I am unfamiliar with logging. Can someone help me along here?
>
> --

$ man syslog.conf
<snip>
     The facility describes the part of the system generating the message, and
     is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv, console, cron, daemon,
     ftp, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, ntp, security, syslog, user, uucp and
     local0 through local7.  These keywords (with the exception of mark) cor-
     respond to similar ``LOG_'' values specified to the openlog(3) and
     syslog(3) library routines.
<snip>

I believe the syntax you want is

ftp.*			/var/log/proftpd.log

Make sure the logfile exists (and is writable),
otherwise I think syslog will complain.

- James Cook
  james.cook at utoronto.ca